Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Coconut Chicken


I found this recipe a while back on My Kitchen Cafe and have made it a handful of times. It has been popular among the food blogs and is known as Sticky Coconut Chicken. I made it twice as the grilled version and it has great flavor but we wanted more sauce with the rice. So, I now make this in my large family skillet on the stove and cook the chicken in the marinade so that we can enjoy all that yummy sauce. I still make the sticky sauce and pour it over the top when it is time to serve it, which gives it a great flavor.
Last time I made it I forgot to take a picture until it was time to clean up from dinner. So I quick took a picture of the chicken in the pan, since the rice was all gone. I know this picture looks a little weird but trust me, this is delish! And we love the sauce with the rice. It is a new family favorite for us. Whether you choose to make it on the grill as the original recipe directs or cook it in the sauce, I am sure you will enjoy it.
Coconut Chicken - adapted from My Kitchen Cafe
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup canned coconut milk
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger (or approx 1/8 tsp dried)
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional- I add maybe 1/2 tsp)

Marinade chicken in coconut milk, ginger, pepper and red pepper flakes at least one hour. Grill on barbecue OR cook with the marinade in a large pan on stove or in baking dish in the oven.
Glaze:
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (according to how spicy you want it)

While the chicken is grilling/baking, bring above ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until mixture is reduced and thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
*Be patient because it takes a little while and the vinegar will smell strong, and the kids may even complain about that vinegar smell, but don't despair, because it's worth it! Once the sauce starts getting thick, immediately take it off the heat!
If you grilled the chicken , glaze both sides of chicken the last few minutes of grilling and save the rest of the sauce for serving at the table. OR if you baked the chicken, pour the glaze over baked chicken with the coconut sauce and serve chicken over rice.

No comments: