Monday, January 19, 2009

Hamburger Soup

I made this soup for my family last week. It has been a favorite of ours for some time. I love all the vegetables in this soup with the rice and cabbage. It takes a little while to chop all the vegies but I think it is well worth it. It is a hearty, flavorful soup, but easy on the fat and calories. I like to serve it with homemade bread or dinner rolls. Yum!

Hamburger Soup

1 lb hamburger
¼ c rice (uncooked)
1 c chopped onion
5 c water
1 tsp beef bullion
1 c diced potato
4 tsp salt ( I use seasoning salt)
1 c carrots, chopped
¼ tsp basil
1 c chopped/shredded cabbage
¼ tsp thyme
1 c chopped celery
1 bay leaf
2 or 3 cans stewed tomatoes - depending on how much tomato you like.
(I like to zap the tomatoes in the blender to break them up into smaller bits, then my children won't complain about the tomoato chuncks but we can still get the full flavor :)

Brown together hamburger & onion. Drain off fat and put in large soup pot. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then simmer till done. Serves 10

2 comments:

Chef Tess said...

Oh I love hamburger soup! I've never had it with cabbage and rice, but that sounds like a perfect match! Thanks! I've got a house full of sick people ready for a good soup for dinner.

Chef Tess said...

Made it for dinner and it was perfect! Thanks!