Friday, August 9, 2013

Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls

I got this recipe from my mom years ago. She got it from a friend that owned a small diner in Louisiana. I remember them being good, but apparently I forgot just how good they are! After years of this recipe sitting in my files, I finally made them for my family and they are so incredibly good! They are moist and full of flavor. These are my new go to cinnamon roll recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls

2 ½ c water
2 pkgs. Yeast
1 yellow or white cake mix (I used yellow)
5 cups flour
Oil and eggs that cake mix calls for

Filling:
Softened Butter
Cinnamon
Brown Sugar
(raisins & nuts optional)


Mix first 5 ingredients and let rise like other cinnamon roll recipes. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down dough and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll dough out on floured surface into a rectangle. 

Brush softened butter over dough.  Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over dough. Roll up dough and pinch edge together to seal.

Cut the roll into slices.


Arrange in greased baking pans and let rise again. Bake 15 – 20 minutes at 350*. Let cool and drizzle with frosting. (I used home made cream cheese frosting)

You can also make these into orange rolls by filling them with butter, sugar and orange zest, then frosting them with an orange glaze frosting! GO here for the instructions on orange rolls and for a recipe on butter cream glaze.

No comments: