Monday, May 6, 2013

Texas Cowboy Salsa (aka Cowboy Caviar)

My mom shared this yummy recipe with me at a family reunion. It is another great summer recipe, although I also served it at a New Year's Eve party and it was a  total hit. It kind of reminds me of a bean salad with the marinade, but way better! My kids often ask me to make this because they like it so much. Be aware that this makes a large batch which is perfect for a group, it's delicious! 



Texas Cowboy Salsa

1 can each-drain and rinse
  Pinto beans
  Northern beans
  Black beans
  Black eyed peas
  Kidney beans
  White kidney beans
  Corn
Chop fine-
   1 c green pepper
   1 c celery
   1 onion
2 cans diced green chilies

Mix all together in a container with a tight lid.
I use a large flat one so it covers better to marinate.
Depending on the amount of beans used, you will need to make
½ more or double the marinate.

In a saucepan bring to a boil:
   1 cup oil
   1 cup sugar
   1 tsp water
    ¾ c white vinegar
    1 tsp salt
     ½ tsp pepper

Let marinade cool, and  then stir in with bean mixture. 
Let marinate for 24 hours before serving for best flavor. 
Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!

No comments: