Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sweet Potato Pie

In my search for a true southern recipe for Sweet Potato pie, a sweet lady from Alabama shared this cherished family recipe with me. It was her grandmothers recipe and it is wonderful! I thank her for her generosity in sharing it.

Sweet Potato Pie
1- 9” unbaked pie shell
1 ½ c mashed sweet potatoes
1 Tbs butter
1/3 c sugar
3 eggs (well beaten)
1 ½ c milk
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp mace
¼ tsp allspice

Boil sweet potatoes until tender. (or you may drain and rinse canned sweet potatoes, but fresh is best!) When cool, peel and mash to make 1 ½ cups. Add butter, sugar, eggs and remaining ingredients. Pour into un-baked pie shell and bake at 425* for 15 minutes. Then lower oven temp. to 350* and continue baking 30 min. or till done.

1 comment:

Chef Tess said...

I just made this today! Thank you so much for sharing! It turned out perfectly set and I adore the fact that it doesn't use a ton of sugar!