Sunday, February 22, 2009

Our favorite Bread!


This picture really dosen't do this bread justice. It is such a wonderful, moist and favorful bread. I call it Mom's bread since it is what she always makes. I have had requests for this recipe many, many times. I love that it stays moist, dosen't get crumbly and freezes well. You can slice it thick or thin, you can make it all white (which is divine) or do half white and half wheat (which is equally delicious) You can use sugar or honey, and even throw in some quick oats for texture. The choice is yours, either way it is the best, most flavorful recipe I have come around and it is easy to make! It makes 4 good size loaves and dosen't last long at our house.
I have frozen it with great results. I just pull a loaf out of the freezer, wrap some paper towel around it, and let it sit over night on the kitchen counter. In the morning I have a soft loaf of bread waiting to be eaten. Oh, it also makes great french toast! Enjoy :)

Mom’s Bread
2 cups milk
1 stick (½ cup) butter or margarine
1 can evaporated milk
2 ½ cups water
1 cup sugar or honey
1 ½ Tbs salt
2 Tbs yeast ( I like to use Saf-instant yeast as I can add it dry with the flour and skip the step of disolving yeast)
Bread flour (optional: mix bread flour with wheat flour.) I also like to add ½ cup of oats before adding the flour to add more texture, YUM!

Directions:
1. In a sauce pan heat together 1 stick butter and 2 c milk till butter is melted. Set aside.
2. Pour 1 can evaporated milk into a measuring cup and then add enough warm water to make 4 1/2 cups of liquid (approx 2 1/2 cups water) note you will want the liquid to be the right temp for the yeast when it is all mixed together.
3. Pour melted butter and evaporated milk mixture into mixing bowl and then add the 4 1/2 cups of evaporated milk/water mixture.
4. Add 1 cup sugar and 1 ½ Tbs salt and mix thoroughly till sugar and salt are dissolved.
5. Add 2 Tbs yeast and stir till dissolved.
6. Add flour one cup at a time and mix with dough hook till the right consistency. ( when dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl , the dough is done) Approx. 10 cups. Dough will be sticky.
7. Dump into a large greased bowl and cover. Let rise till double in size. Then punch down and form into loaves and place in greased bread pans (it fills 4 large bread pans for me)
8. Let rise till double again and then bake at 350* for 35 minutes.
9. Pop loaves out of bread pans onto cooling rack
10. Optional: lightly butter the tops of the loaves when they are still hot from the oven to keep the top crust soft and yummy.

2 comments:

&D designs said...

You mom came and made this bread with me one day - it was the best EVER!!!! Doug had left for a YM activity that day - all the boys ate some. They all thought I had made the bread - so the word got out that I make the best home made bread - but it really was your mom - soooo funny!

Chef Tess said...

I made this from the recipe you sent me a while ago! It' was perfect! Thanks!