Sunday, February 22, 2009

Tortellini Soup


I recently subscribed to the Taste of Home magazine and in my first issue, I found this delicious recipe for Holiday Tortellini Soup. I made it today and served it with multi grain french bread and and the family loved it! It was filling, full of flavor, and easy to make. It also states that it freezes well which is a plus! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :)

Tortellini Soup
(from Taste of Home magazine)

2 Tbs olive oil
2 oz Pancetta or Bacon, finely diced. (I used pre-cooked crumbled bacon)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (49 1/2os) chicken broth (I used three cups water and 3 tsp chicken bullion)
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 package (9oz) cheese tortellini ( I used a 19oz bag of frozen tortellini)
1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes in puree
8 oz fresh spinach, rinsed, stemmed and chopped (I used 3/4 bag of fresh baby spinach)
Salt and pepper to tastee (I only needed to use a little)
1 cup freshly shredded parmesean cheese (I used the grated stuff from the can :)

Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over meduim heat. Add pancetta (or bacon). Cook until crisp (mine was pre-cooked so I just threw it in) Add onion and cook 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic; cook 1 more minute. Add broth and Italian seasoing; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Add cooked tortelini to soup mixture. Stir in tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes. Add chopped spinach and cook just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parmesean cheese and serve with your favorite bread.

No comments: