Monday, October 13, 2008

Fish Tacos

I learned to love fish tacos while vacationing in Arizona because of this awsome little place called Mangos Cafe in down town Mesa. Oh, they are delicious!
Fish tacos served at Mango's cafe! Ohh, so yummy!

Mango's Cafe

They have an amazing menu of fresh Mexican food and I have to go every time I am in AZ. I also can't say enough about their fresh fruit juices. They are simply refreshing! My favorite is their Watermelon juice but the cantaloupe juice is a close second, they also have strawberry, lemon aide and Mango juice that are so delicious. But back to the fish tacos. I enjoy a good fish taco at most restaurants but none match the ones served at Mangos Cafe. They serve it with a fresh mango orange salsa, which I don't have a recipe for, but will do my best to track one down. In the mean time you can use my favorite recipe for mango salsa that I got from my sister Janae.

I can't say I can duplicate the fish toco at Mangos Cafe but we have our own simplified version that we make here at home with our kids that are pretty tasty and always a hit. Like any taco, you can fix it up any way you want, but here are some ingredients for starters.

Fish Tacos
Breaded fish fillets, baked and cut in half lengh wise- (keep them warm)



Soft taco size tortillas (we use flour)

Toppings:
Shredded cabbage
Lime juice
Shredded cheese
Mango salsa (my mango salsa is listed below)
Fresh salsa (fresh makes a difference but you can use your favorite)
Guacamole or diced avacado
Sour Cream

Place a couple pieces of baked fish in your taco shell and top with shredded cabbage, squeeze a little lime juice over the fish and cabbage, then top with salsa, cheese and what ever else you want. It's that easy and even tastier!

My homemade fish taco with fresh salsa

Mango Salsa
2-3 mangos, peeled and cubed
2 avocados cubed
1 cucumber, cubed
2-3 Tbs lime juice
1 green onion diced
Chopped cilantro
½ jalapeno diced (roasted or raw- if raw, remove seeds)

Stir together and serve fresh with chips. Great over fish or pork tacos!

Pork Tacos
To make pork tacos, I roast a pork loin in the crock pot with a little taco seasoning, not too much, I like to keep the pork flavor simple. Then I top it off just like the fish taco, cabbage, lime juice and all. Sooo delish, especially with the mango salsa!

No comments: