Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Poppy Seed Chicken


If you have never had Poppy Seed Chicken, you are missing out! This creamy chicken casserole is so yummy, it easily falls under the categor of comfort food. My good friend Kathee is known for her delicious poppy seed chicken and was so kind as to share her recipe with me. I made this the other night for my family and it was completely gone, only a few cracker crumbs remained. I served it with roasted asparagus but it would be great coupled with any vegetable.
Now, I have to say, that it isn't a low fat recipe by any means. But there are some ways around it to help with that issue. I used low fat cream of chicken soup and low fat sour cream. I also halved the butter and I think it tasted just as good. Although, I have had it with all the fat and it is sinful :) Hope you enjoy this creamy chicken indulgence!


Poppy Seed Chicken

1 cup melted butter ( I used one stick = 1/2 cup)
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
2 sleeves Ritz crackers, crushed
1 6 oz carton sour cream ( I used low fat)
1 can cream of chicken soup ( I used low fat version)
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
( I added a little bit of seasoning salt to the creamy mixture maybe 1/4 teaspoon)

Combine butter, crushed crackers, and poppy seeds. Mix well. Pat half of the crumb mixture into bottom of 9 x 13 pan.
Combine chicken, soup, and sour cream. Place in pan over cracker crumb mixture.
Top with remaining cracker crumb mixture.
Bake at 350˚ for 30-45 minutes or until heated through.

No comments: