Friday, March 20, 2009

Taco Soup


This is a staple recipe at our house and one that is so quick and easy to throw together. We prefer this over Chili any day of the week.
I dump all the canned food in a pot with the seasoning and while that heats through, I brown my hamburger, drain it and then dump it in the soup pot, by then it is heated through and ready to eat. You can also change this up a bit how ever you like. Some like pinto beans or black beans , some like to just stick with the kidney beans. YOu can even do it vegetarian and replace more beans and corn in place of the meat.
You can also use chili beans if you want more of a chili like flavor. (You can use the tomatoes with diced chilis and onions but it will be spicy!)
This is a family favorite and also a favorite of many of my friends. Hope you enjoy it!


Taco Soup

1 lb hamburger
1 onion, chopped (optional)
Brown together and drain off grease

Add to the following in a soup pot:
1 can kidney beans (undrained)

1 can Pinto beans ( undrained)
1 can corn (undrained)
2 cans stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes (undrained) *
2 envelopes taco seasoning

Heat through. Serve with tortilla or corn chips. Optional, top with grated cheese, sour cream, diced onion and even fresh diced tomatoes if you like.



*Note: My kids don't like chunks of tomatoes, so I zap them in the blender just long enough to break it all up, more like crushed tomatoes, and I prefer stewed tomatoes for just a little bit more flavor but diced or crushed tomatoes are good to use as well.


Also, My husband and I like to crush the chips in the bottom of the bowl and put the soup on top, the kids like to dip their chips in the soup as they eat it. Either way is yummy!

2 comments:

Laura Michelle said...

Taco Soup, one of my favorites !! Yumo.

Chef Tess said...

Finally made this and now am totally addicted! Thanks sweetie!!